Monday, October 13, 2008

Pretty Palmyra

This is a replica of the log home that belonged to the Smith Family. This is the kitchen. Researchers tried for years to find the exact location of the original Smith family home. They found over 2000 artifacts right where this house is standing today.


Upstairs in the log home. There were 2 rooms. This is in the "boys room," so could have been where Joseph slept.


The Smith family moved to the "frame house" down the road, which was much larger. The original home stands there today. There were several buildings outside and this was one of them. This was such a pretty little barn. It just really made me want a barn of my own! I would love to live on a real farm, but have all of the hard work done for me. Plenty of farm workers to take care of the animals, pick the fruit in the orchards, work in the garden...I would just meander out there when I felt like it. A spoiled farm wife! But really, I would love living on a farm, just not all of the hard work that goes with it.



This is the Palmyra Temple as seen from the Smith family home. It is built on the Smith family's original 100 acres of land. It is the 100th temple built, dedicated in the year 2000. It was dedicated on the anniversary of the church's organization, April 6. It is a beautiful little temple, and so fitting to have it right there on the Smiths' original property. It looks out onto the Sacred Grove.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Sally said...

Me too! I want exactly that farm you describe--where I meander around directing the "hands." Your pictures are amazing!

I wonder if Joseph ever looked up at that hill near his home and saw an outline of a temple that one stands now? What a beautiful scene!

This is so fun! I'm living this trip vicariously.

Carol F. said...

Sally, that is an amazing thought. I love the colors of the trees. How great that you have taken your family on this trip, Mary Jane! They will always remember it and be able to build so much knowledge on this framework.

Wendy said...

Mary Jane, I am thinking you didn't have time to go into the temple. They have the most beautiful stained glass windows inside. They are just images of the trees in the sacred grove. They are absolutely beautiful.

Michelle Menden said...

Having the Grill n chill closed may have been worth it to arrive with those fall colors in bloom. The trees around the temple and in the grove were beautiful. And the sunset that you caught is beautiful too. I imagine it is quite the contrast after the busy big noisy city of New York.

Shauna said...

What a beautiful sight!