Monday, March 16, 2009

First Camping Trip

Well we finally made it! Last weekend we went to Picacho Peak State Park. We had so much fun! It was great. It is only about an hour away. We had planned on camping in Sedona, but heard they were expecting thunderstorms all weekend. So we almost had to scrap the whole plan (again), but found a vacancy at Picacho Peak. So I loaded everyone up and zoomed down there to get a space. Kresten worked a half-day and then came in the afternoon. It was really nice! They had very clean bathrooms and showers, which was great. This is a top priority in my book (I'm such a camper, aren't I?) The weather was perfect...sunny the whole time. It got cold at night, but our heater kept us nice and toasty. During the day it was in the mid 70's, but felt warmer. Maybe just because we were out in it the whole time. There wasn't much shade. Just our little awning that we tried to keep from blowing away and taking flight. We even got a little sunburned, wearing sunscreen.

Kresten took Chloe, Olivia, and Matt on a little climb. This is overlooking part of Picacho Peak and the campground. The kids did the Junior Ranger program while we were there. We found out that the translation of Picacho is "peak." So we were at Peak Peak. We had a pretty view from our campsite. We even saw a beautiful moonrise on our first night, and then lots of stars the following night.

They had a cute playground with these cool swings...they had these levers you pull with your arms. I have never seen swings like this before.

On the hike to Children's Cave. The distance for the hike was 0.2 miles. LOL! But it was uphill--maybe that's why it seemed longer?
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Susie said...

I am so glad you guys had fun - camping is sooo much fun!! (When the weather is nice, of course). We have our first outing for the year on Monday (although it is a "working" trip, Ethan is getting evaluated). BUT, we have a three day weekend over Easter planned for our annual family campout - I can't wait!

The McEwans said...

WHoo hoo! More McGrath campers! Who woulda thought? lol

Julie Herrell said...

I am glad you got to use your tent trailer. So much better then just a tent. I think I gave you our family blog before, but if not it is herrellhappenings.blogspot.com.