Monday, September 29, 2008

The Big Trip

Well, we are setting our alarms for 4:00 am. We have been planning for this vacation for a very long time--it is hard to believe it is finally here! We have been packing, cleaning, and doing errands all day.

Here is what is in our suitcases:
*2 short sleeve shirts
*4 long sleeve shirts
*6 jeans
*1 jacket
*1 skirt (for 5 of us that is!)
*sandals
*swimsuit (in case there is a hotel pool)
*socks/underwear
*pajamas

They are wearing their tennis shoes on the plane to cut down on the bulk in the suitcase. I really love packing light. That is tricky to do with 7 people, but probably all the more necessary the more people you have!

Everyone also has a backpack with the following:
*blanket
*journal
*book
*gallon ziplok with snacks
*empty water bottle (we'll fill them up after security)
*little pack of kleenex (they loved that for some reason!)

We also borrowed 2 personal dvd players for the airplane. Thank you Welches!

The Plan
Here is our itinerary. We will try to update with pictures and information as we go.

Tuesday
fly to Baltimore
rent car
find our vacation rental...a 3 bedroom condo in Washington DC

Wednesday-Friday
tour Washington DC. Smithsonian, Treasury, Capitol, Washington monument, etc. etc.

Saturday
Gettysburg
Hershey
stay in Harrisburg/Hershey PA

Sunday
Drive through Amish country
Stay in Philadelphia

Monday
Independence Historic Park...Liberty Bell, US Mint, etc.
drive to Ocean City, New Jersey
Stay at a bed and breakfast a block from the beach

Tuesday
Drive to NYC, find Cosmopolitan hotel, drop off rental car, visit Jennifer, Robert, and Ruby!
Tour the Statue of Liberty

Wednesday-Friday
NYC sites--Central Park, Museum of Natural History, the Metropolitan Museum, Times Square, Walk the Brooklyn Bridge, Chinatown, World Trade Center, Wall Street, Central Park Zoo, etc!

Saturday-Tuesday
leave NYC, rent another car, drive to Palmyra
visit church history sites--the Sacred Grove, Hill Cumorah, etc.
visit Palmyra temple

Tuesday
visit Niagara Falls--tickets for the Maid of the Mist
fly home from Buffalo airport




9 comments:

Sally said...

You are the bravest people I have ever known. We are so far from being able to maneuver a trip like this that I can't even imagine it.

Have a great time. May I recommend the National Archives: leaning over the real Declaration of Independence was a spiritual event for me and very moving. Same with the Constitution. I had just read Alexander Hamilton's new biography, and I was overwhelmed at the sight of his signature. (Thank you Ms. Burgquist!)

Happy travels!
Love,
Sally

Susie said...

I am so excited for you all. The kids are a perfect age for such an adventure! Have a great time.

Susie

Unknown said...

Hello MGs! Good luck on your big adventure -- I'm sure this is something the kids will remember and treasure for a very long time. The only piece of advice I have is second hand: whatever you do, do NOT partake in a chocolate massage at Hershey; apparently, it's horrific and you may never eat chocolate again :)

Have a wonderful, safe journey, and I'm sure I'll see you when you take berth in NYC.

Khue

Shauna said...

I can't wait to see all of your pictures and hear about your trip! I've been thinking about you all morning! Good luck, this will be a trip you will NEVER forget!!!
Shauna

Marianne said...

Way to go McGraths!! I am so excited for you and your amazing trip!! We went back east a couple of years ago with all of our kids and it was truly amazing!! Also, I went with my family when I was just barely 8 years old and we did all the touring and sight seeing that we could possibly do. I still remember it all very vividly, and I know your kids will do the same. This will be something they will never forget. I am proud of you for making the sacrifice to have it be a family affair. It gets tricky, but it is worth it. Have fun and be safe!!

Aften said...

sounds like so much fun, have a great time back east.

Carol F. said...

Fantastic itinerary! So glad you are doing it!!! Thanks for posting pictures as you go. It will be fun to follow.

Elder and Sister Porter said...

How fun to enjoy your trip. I got your blog cut and pasted into my favorites. Can't wait for the update. Love you and miss you. Mom

Michelle said...

This trip sounds awesome. It is something your children will treasure always. So good to see both of you on the blog and your adorable family. you have truly been blessed over the years.

Michelle Lindblom Ayala