Monday, January 12, 2009

Can we do it?

About a week after Christmas we decided to figure out our vacation plans for 2009. We knew we wanted to spend a week on the beach in California in October, but other than that didn't have anything planned. So we started to think about what else we would like to do. Hmm...how about Cedar City, to go see a play at Tuacahn amphitheater? (This was a recycled idea...rejected from the family reunion planning committee. There is a KOA there that we had considered for the reunion.) Well, this thought just took on a life of its own.

We could camp!
It would be fun!
Hey...we could camp on the beach in California!
I wonder how much a used pop-up camper would cost?

Craigslist was pulled up within the minute, and the search for a camper began. One thing about Kresten and I--once we get excited about an idea we have a hard time dropping it. So we searched, studied, and pursued numerous pop-up campers for the next, oh, I'd say about 4 days. Now, mind you, neither of us have ever been huge campers. We have gone a time or two, but something about sleeping on the ground with no bathroom nearby never really appealed to us. And once we rented an RV, but thought it was a little too clausterphobic. But a pop-up camper...now that is a different story!

Beds!
A heater!
An air conditioner!
And maybe even...a bathroom!

All while still having lots of windows and fresh air.

So...here is the result of our pop-up camper obsession:





A king bed, a queen bed, and a full bed! A heater and an air conditioner! And yes, that is a little porta-potty/shower situation there. It is a little weathered on the outside, but perfect on the inside! It has hardly ever been used. We are having so much fun with this thing and we haven't even gone anywhere yet. We have lots of fun ideas of places to go. Now we hope we can actually sleep in it! Our maiden voyage/test camping trip will be February 27-28. We are going to camp out at Usery Mountain Park, not too far away. That is the weekend of Kate Eliza's birthday, and we like to celebrate her day with a fun family activity. So we know it will be a family activity...now let's hope it is actually a fun one!
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

The McEwans said...

oh fun :) Brian and I went to the amphitheater down there. We saw South Pacific and it was really good.

Susie said...

Aha! Now there is no excuse for any family reunion stays - you can go anywhere, travel anywhere, do anything.......you have joined the club of campers!!!! You know we are converts - What? Spend the summer in Washington?? - NO PROBLEM!! We have a CAMPER!!!!

Michelle said...

That is so cool! My kids would be so jealous of your camper! I think it's a great idea. And I am loving Craig's list lately. What can't you find there?? Fun fun.

Wendy said...

very cool.

Unknown said...

We have one that we leave up in Pinedale on my moms property. They are so fun and so easy to pull even I can do it. Our family loves camping together. Great memories! I hope you enjoy it.

julie herrell said...

Oops that was first comment was left by Julie not Courtney. this one too if it says her name again. I loved your post about the fish - Scott recently gave up fishing in the lake/pond across the street because he felt the same way - the fish were just laughing at him. :)

Shauna said...

I saw that when I came over the other day and wondered how long you have had it! I think that sounds like so much fun!!! My sister has one and they keep a lot of their emergency supply stuff in it in case they ever have to leave due to fire danger. (They are in CA and have been evaculated a few times.) What a fun family activity!

Heninger family said...

We've talked about getting one, too... I'm anxious to hear how it goes!